What Is a Maple Leaf Coin?
A maple leaf coin is a coin with a picture of a maple leaf on it. The Canadian government produces these coins, and they are legal tender in Canada. They are also known as Canadian Maple Leaf Coins or just Maple Leafs. These coins are made from .9999 fine silver and have a face value of $5 (CAD).
A Brief History of Maple Leaf Coins
The Royal Canadian Mint is Canada’s central bank and government minting facility. It is responsible for producing all of Canada’s circulating legal tender coins and medals. The Maple Leaf coin is a bullion coin that is produced by the Royal Canadian Mint. The coin was first introduced in 1979, and it quickly became a popular choice among investors and collectors.
- The first Maple Leaf coins were made of pure gold, with a weight of one troy ounce. They featured a simple design, with a single maple leaf on one side, and an effigy of Queen Elizabeth II on the other. The coins were produced in large numbers and were quickly recognized as a symbol of Canada around the world.
- In 1988, the Royal Canadian Mint began producing Maple Leaf coins made of silver. These coins also featured the same simple design as the gold coins, with a single maple leaf on one side and an effigy of Queen Elizabeth II on the other. Like the gold coins, the silver Maple Leaf quickly became a popular choice among investors and collectors.
- Over the years, the Royal Canadian Mint has introduced several variations of the Maple Leaf coin, including coins made of platinum, palladium, and even a limited edition coin made of 99.999% pure gold, which is the purest gold coin in the world.
- The design of the Maple Leaf coin has also evolved over the years. In 2014, the Royal Canadian Mint introduced a new design for the coin, which features a highly detailed image of a maple leaf, along with the weight and purity of the coin. The new design was created to help prevent counterfeiting, as it includes advanced security features that make the coins difficult to replicate.
- Today, the Maple Leaf coin remains one of the most popular and highly regarded bullion coins in the world. It is recognized for its quality, purity, and beauty, and it continues to be a favourite among investors and collectors alike.
The Price of Gold and Silver in Canada
Gold and Silver price in Canada is determined by the market. Instant Gold Refining is the best place to buy coins like 1 oz Gold Maple Leaf, 1 Oz Silver Maple Leaf Coin, 1 Oz Gold Maple Leaf (Random Year) – RCM, and many more.